Rail Trail Council of NEPA
Home About Become A Member Areas Included Contacts/Links Directions Events History Improvements Newsletters
Processing - please wait...
Rail Trail Council History
D&H Rail-Trail Grand Opening
Pictured cutting the ribbon are: Forest City Councilman Bernie Scalzo, Forest City Mayor Nicholas Cost, State Representative Jim Wansacz, Rail-Trail Project Manager Lynn Conrad, State Representative Sandra J. Major, Congressman Don Sherwood, and Susquehanna County Commissioner Roberta Kelly.
The History of the NEPA Rail-Trails Council

The Rail-Trail Council of Northeastern Pennsylvania is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit corporation begun in 1991 to attempt the purchase of local abandoned railbeds. It began as a very small grass-roots organization and now has over 1700 members and supporters. The Board meets monthly at area restaurants and the public is invited. A quarterly newsletter keeps members and local citizens informed of the progress of the organization and trail improvements.

In its short history, the RTC has acquired 38 miles of the historic Delaware & Hudson railbed, and has an easement to use eight miles of the parallel Ontario & Western railbed as a recreational trail. Numerous grants have been awarded to design and engineer trail improvements, restore bridges, landscape trailheads and provide trail amenities as signage, picnic tables, and benches. A one million dollar Transportation Enhancement grant was awarded to continue trail stabilization and resurfacing on the D&H from Herrick Northward.

D&H Rail-Trail Grand Opening & Ribbon Cutting in 2006

Saturday, Sept. 23rd, 2006
Lynn Conrad, Rail-Trail Project Manager, welcomed everyone and, referring to the recently renovated 10 mile stretch of trail, said "This is just a peek at what a real Rail-Trail will look like. We are still not there yet, but we are on our way."