RTC Vision and Plans
The basic intent of the RTC and its trail plans are to enhance the quality of life
for the people who live, work, and visit the Endless Mountains Region of Northeast Pennsylvania.
The D&H Rail-Trail will:
- provide free recreational opportunities with healthy benefits
- protect the Lackawanna River corridor and its upper branches
- provide river access for fishing, nature study, and kayaking
- stimulate economic development: retain and attract businesses, stimulate new business
- increase property values by making communities more desirable
- increase recreational and heritage tourism
- preserve and highlight the early transportation routes of anthracite coal
- provide routes for alternative transportation to work, school, or town
- provide a site for special activities as benefit runs, biking clinics, etc.
- reestablish the links between small towns that once thrived with railroad activities
- help build community partnerships
- provide environmental benefits by protecting natural resources and habitats
- provide educational opportunities both historical and environmental
- connect to the Lackawanna River Heritage Trail
Imagine Over 64 Miles Of Trails...
Stroll, run, cycle, cross-country ski, horseback ride, snowmobile, or walk the dog.
Free of car traffic, safe for people of all ages and physical abilities to enjoy the outdoors.
Spend time with your mate, children, grandchildren, visiting friends and relatives.
Stop along the trail to eat at an area restaurant, browse through a local artisan's shop or antique
store, spend the night at a local inn.
Meander through pristine woods, past scenic overlooks, rivers, streams, lakes and villages.
A showcase for the natural beauty of Northeastern Pennsylvania; a habitat for birds and animals;
a means to control surface runoff and erosion, thereby protecting adjacent streams.
Relive the history of the Delaware & Hudson and the New York, Ontario & Western Railroads.
A proud legacy to hand to future generations.
President, Robert F. Breuche
Vice President, Elliot Ross
Vice President, Bernard McGurl
Secretary, Craig Benson
Treasurer, Jack McNamara
The North East Pennsylvania Rail-Trails Council Board of Directors
Executive Director, Lynn M. Conrad
Program Manager, Deb McNamara
Administrative Assistant, Sheryl Brownlow